Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cauliflower & Couscous

Ah, I've been reveling in one of those increasingly rare weekends without a packed social calendar. When not out and about, as you might expect, I thoroughly enjoy a good weekend cooking fest. So, last night, I whipped up some cauliflower and Israeli couscous.

What would I do without Dani, my trusty
assistant cook? She loves learning about
making Israeli couscous, one of her favorites!

My goal for the weekend was to cook without going grocery shopping- using everything we have in the house. Re-visiting one of my favorite new cookbooks, Plenty, by Yotam Ottolenghi, we prepared the roasted Saffron Cauliflower with Red Onions, Raisins and Olives. I've been more than a little obsessed with saffron lately, so this dish provided a fix of saffron and it just so happens that we picked up a cauliflower at River Valley Market this week. We didn't have olives, so I subbed in a mix of capers and caper berries. With the addition of russet potato and tomato it came out wonderfully. We had a little heavy cream, so, I also made a Saffron Cream sauce to drizzle over the cauliflower dish for a little extra sauciness and sassiness!

The cauliflower was a perfect counter-balance to another dish, Israeli couscous with Porcini Mushrooms and Chestnuts. We really dig porcini and chestnuts. Two true stories:

True Story One: Half of our grocery shopping budget was spent at RVM's Member Appreciation 10% off sale by buying six containers of porcini mushrooms. Believe it or not, I never had porcini until about 5 years ago when our friend Stephen whipped up a fabulous Pasta with Porcini Cream Sauce for us in Atlanta.

True Story Two: One of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes is our friend Eric's Jerusalem Artichokes with Chestnuts. Tucking into this about 7 years ago is where the love for the almighty chestnut all began.

So, there it is: Cauliflower & Israeli Couscous


We also had a Mediterranean salad of cucumbers with greek yogurt, scallions and cilantro. It was seasoned with aleppo pepper, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic.

Mediterranean Cucumber Salad


No comments:

Post a Comment