Monday, March 3, 2014

Vietnam via Italia

The incredibly versatile Italian Frittata is a dish that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as an appetizer. There's lots of great recipes out there for Frittata that I would love to try. This is a simple dish to prepare: Begin with heating up a generous amount of olive oil in a pan, add and heat your
vegetable, cheese, herbs, spices and meat ingredients. Add whisked eggs with salt and pepper and cook on medium in the skillet or frying pan. Using a flexible baking spatula, pull the eggs from the side of the pan and let it cook underneath, continue checking on the bottom of the Frittata for browning. Once just slightly brown cook for 2-4 minutes under the broiler.

Lately, I have been doing a lot of experimenting with making Frittata, a traditional dish that puts your leftover prepared vegetables to use. The key to a wide ranging Frittata repertoire is to consider most any leftover as a potential ingredient. So, in the last couple of weeks, we have had Frittata with leftover Saffron Cauliflower, Mushroomy Israeli Couscous and Broccoli w/ Parmesan and Onion and Potato w/ Parmesan. Hopefully the family won't become to exhausted with my little Frittata obsession.


An Italian Frittata creation 

Speaking of obsessions, I have long been enamored with Vietnamese food and I have made the traditional dishes, such as Shrimp on Sugar Cane, Fresh Spring Rolls, Shrimp Toast, Simple Vietnamese Salad and Pho Noodle Soup. I have been having mostly Mediterranean food lately and have been longing for some Vietnamese food. This past week, I made a double batch of Nam Pla (prepared dipping sauce w/ fish sauce) for a Vietnamese Noodle dish. And, then I put it on everything for days in between my Frittata making.

I decided to combine the best of both worlds for a Mediterrasian Basmati Rice, Fish Sauce, Ginger and Onion Frittata. The Frittata was garnished with Thai Basil, chopped Vietnamese Rau Ram leaves and more fish sauce. I wish I had some chopped peanuts to add, and chopped cucumber would also be a good addition.


Vietnamese Mini Frittata 

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! What time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill! I can bring you one for breakfast : ) Do you like Vietnamese Fish Sauce?

      Delete